Why visit the Nehru Zoological Park?
If you’re looking for an unforgettable day out, then you need to head to Nehru Zoological Park in Hyderabad. one of India’s largest zoos.
The Hyderabad Zoo is home to over 1,500 animals from across the world, including tigers, lions, bears, and elephants. Plus, with a host of interactive activities on offer, there’s something for everyone at this incredible zoo.
Here are some reasons why you should visit Nehru Zoological Park on your next trip to Hyderabad.
- First of all, the sheer size of the zoo is impressive—at over 380 acres, it is one of the largest zoos in Asia.
- Secondly, the park is also home to some of the rarest and most endangered animals in the world, including Asiatic lions, white tigers, Bengal Tiger, Indian Rhinos, etc.
- The highlights of the park are the safari rides which take you through the animal enclosures in their natural habitat. The zoo has Tiger Safari, Lion Safari, Bison Safari, and Bear Safari.
- There are a lot of other activities which you can do here like boating, taking a ride on the toy train, visit Jurassic park and the butterfly park, bicycle rides, etc.
- Thanks to the park’s close proximity to Mir Alam tank, lots of migratory birds flock to this water body from all over the globe, making it a must-visit place for bird watchers too.
History of Nehru Zoological Park
Nehru Zoological Park is a zoo located in Hyderabad, India. The zoo covers an area of 380 acres, adjacent to the 600-acre Mir Alam Tank, and is home to over 1,500 animals. The zoo was established in 1963 and is named after Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India.
It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India, receiving over 10 lac visitors each year. The park is home to a wide variety of animals, including tigers, lions, elephants, and primates. Visitors to the park can also enjoy a variety of activities, such as bird watching, safari rides, and camel rides. The park is a great place to learn about the wildlife of India and to see some of the country’s most beautiful animals up close.
The zoo is open all year round and offers a variety of educational programs for children and adults. The zoological park is run by the Telangana Forest Department and is a member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA)
Attractions at Nehru Zoological Park
- Safaris – Tiger Safari, Lion Safari, Bison Safari, and the Bear Safari.
- Bicycle Rides
- Children’s Park
- Jurassic Park
- Butterfly Park
- A ride on the toy train
- Feeding the animals under the supervision of zoo authorities
- Night Safari after 6 pm
- Animal petting is also allowed under supervision
- Nocturnal Animal House.
- A beautiful large aviary with various species of birds
- Reptile house.
- Wear comfortable footwear since there is a lot of walking involved
- Avoid going on weekends if possible, as the place can get extremely crowded.
- Buy the hop-on/hop-off tickets to enjoy the safari
- Visit the zoo in the morning since it tends to get warm in the afternoon and the animals go to sleep.
- Do not carry polythene bags as the zoo is a completely plastic-free zone.
Visiting the park offers a memorable day filled with wildlife, education, and fun for visitors of all ages. The park offers a diverse collection of animals, birds, and reptiles that provide a unique opportunity to observe and learn about the natural world. From the tiger safari to the birdhouse, Nehru Zoological Park has something for everyone.
If you are a nature lover, animal enthusiast, or just looking for a fun day out, Nehru Zoological Park is a must-visit destination. The park provides a unique opportunity to observe and learn about the natural world while also offering fun and exciting activities for visitors of all ages. So pack your bags, gather your family or friends, and head over to Nehru Zoological Park for an unforgettable experience.
Weekdays: Rs 50 per Adult and Rs 30 per Child (3 to 10 yrs)
Rs 100 for a Camera
Rs 500 for a Video Camera
Weekend & Holidays: Rs 60 per Adult and Rs 40 per Child (3 to 10 yrs)
Rs 100 for Still Camera
Rs 500 for Video Camera
Tuesdays to Sundays: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Q: What are the opening hours of Nehru Zoological Park?
A: The park is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm every day.
Q: How much does it cost to enter Nehru Zoological Park?
A: The entry fee on weekdays for adults is Rs. 50, and for children, it is Rs. 30. There is an additional fee for the safari and boating activities.
Q: What animals can I see at Nehru Zoological Park?
A: The park is home to a wide range of animals, including tigers, lions, elephants, rhinoceroses, zebras, deer, bears, and many more.
Q: Can I bring food into the park?
A: Outside food is not allowed inside the park, but there are several food stalls and restaurants where you can purchase snacks and meals.
Q: Is Nehru Zoological Park wheelchair accessible?
A: Yes, the park is wheelchair accessible, and there are several ramps and pathways that make it easy to navigate.
Q: Are there any restrictions on photography in the park?
A: Photography is allowed in most areas of the park, but there are certain restricted areas where photography is not permitted.
Q: Can I feed the animals in Nehru Zoological Park?
A: No, visitors are not allowed to feed the animals in the park.
Q: How long does it take to explore Nehru Zoological Park?
A: It can take anywhere from 4-6 hours to explore the park, depending on your pace and the activities you choose to participate in.
What to do next?
Check out my article on 41 amazing places to visit in Hyderabad